Lewes Improvers Group
New runners are always welcome to join the Lewes AC Improvers group. Our aim is to ensure that everyone has a sociable and enjoyable run, as well as to support individual runners with their personal goals.
- The Improvers group meets every Tuesday evening at the club house at the back of Lewes Leisure Centre, except on the first Tuesday of each month, when it meets at a local pub instead (details will be emailed to club members in advance); all sessions start promptly at 7pm.
- Runners should be able to run 5k (3 miles) comfortably.
- For those as yet unable to run 5k (3 miles), Lewes AC offers two 10-week Beginners’ courses each year, one in the spring and one in the autumn: for details, see www.lewesac.co.uk/what-we-do/beginners
- The group will support runners to consolidate their running goals, & offer the opportunity to progress to other groups in the club.
- Each group will be led by at least one qualified Leader or Coach.
- The duration of the group session will be one hour approx, plus allowing time for a warm up and a cool down.
- Improvers sessions will be designed to give runners the option of running for either shorter or longer times/distances (within an overall range of 3 to 5 miles), depending upon the ability of individual runners.
- Runners will find their sessions more productive if they also maintain their own running regime during the rest of the week; Improvers are particularly encouraged to attend the regular Saturday morning training sessions at the track
- In general, the Improvers group will stick together and no one will ever get left behind. Faster runners at the front will be expected to loop back regularly to support slower runners at the rear. Occasional short stops will be included to allow everyone to catch their breath and recover.
- See our run schedule below to give you an idea of what we do
|Technical and session detail||Session
|10th July||Pub Run||Plough & Harrow, Litlington||
Gentle run from Lewes along the riverbank to Southease. (approx. 4 miles)
We will arrange lifts back to Lewes
|24th July||Kingston loop via Juggs Road, Ashcombe Windmill, Ashcombe Lane and Spring Barn Farm meadow: approx 5 miles, with some hill work||Mark|
|31st July||Fixed Tempo Run||Tesco - Malling rec - Mill Road - trail parallel with Ringmer cycle path - join cycle path and return via Malling - Willey's Bridge - Tesco - Court Road. About 5 miles approx. Some steep climbs on the way out and mainly down-hill / flat on the return.||Richard|
|7th August||Pub run||5 Bells North Chailey||
|5 miles approx: (Off road, undulating, views.) Winterbourne, Hope in the Valley, across A27 to Bridleway at the back of Houndean/Nevill estate. Down Hill road, & back to club via Pells pool.||Anne|
|21st August||Juggs Lane and up to Kingston Windmill, through the village, back through Spring Barn Farm to clubhouse. There will be an option for a shorter run.||
|28th August||Fixed Temp Run||5k tempo run from Tennis Club along Ham Lane towards tip up to Mountfield Road, down to Dripping Pan across Priory Ruins along Ham Lane to Rugby Club, along cycle path turning at Spring Barn and returning to Tennis Club starting point. (Beginners 5K)||Colin|
|4th September||Masters Mantell Handicap||Open to all club members. Those that don't want to run can offer to marshall please!|
Everyone's favourite.......The Twittens!
|18th September||Test-running the proposed new 5k town tempo course||Mark|
|25th September||Fixed Tempo Run||Fixed 5K tempo run||Colin|
|2nd October||Pub run||Alex|
|9th October||Town run incorporating 3 laps of meet-greet-and-retreat along New Road/Paddock Road||
Mark in lieu of John
|30th October||Fixed tempo run|
|6th November||Pub run||Mark|
Fixed Tempo Run
(Beginners/Improvers Transition Week 1)
(Beginners/Improvers Transition Week 2)
(Beginners/Improvers Transition Week 3)
(Beginners/Improvers Transition Week 4)